Plantiful Plates Dairy-Milk Alternative
In my plantiful kitchen I make a variety of dairy milk alternatives–almond milk, cashew milk, hemp milk, seed and nut milk, and nut milk blends. All of these are so easy to make at home and do not include the preservatives, emulsifiers and flavours which are added to store-bought versions.
This recipe is for my go-to milk–Vanilla Almond Milk. I like to have this on hand for cereal, smoothies, to mix straight with a protein powder or over ice on it’s own. I think it is a good starter milk for people who haven’t tried homemade almond milk; sweet and creamy–this is a great drink. You could leave the sweetener out if you want to keep it versatile for savoury uses or just prefer an unsweetened milk.
Tips for Making Almond Milk:
- Start with raw almonds, not roasted or blanched.
- Soak your nuts (overnight preferably) prior to blending them up. In a pinch, you can reduce the soaking time by placing the almonds in boiling hot water for an hour. Soaking will make them blend up easier–making for a smoother milk– and to enhance digestibility.
- Drain and rinse the almonds after soaking. Do not use the soaking water in the milk.
- You can use a couple of layers of cheese cloth if you can’t find a nut milk bag, but nut milk bags are much stronger, have a finer mesh and ensure a less messy milking process. I got mine from a local health food store, but you can order them online from the supplier, Sprout Master, for less than $10 (Canadian).
- The left over pulp has a few uses, but is really just fibre. If you don’t want to compost it, you can dry it out and use it in place of breadcrumbs in recipes, or freeze it and add it to smoothies to bulk them up. I have also used the crumbs to make crackers and as a base in a fruit crisp topping.
- 1cup raw almondssoaked, rinsed and drained
- Sweetener of choice 2 madjool dates (soaked), 2 tablespoons of raw honey or 2 tablespoons of maple syrup(my favourite are dates)
- 4 cups cold, filtered water
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch pink himalayan salt