This hearty stew has a creamy red lentil sauce spiked with traditional pot pie veggies and seasonings topped with pillowy dumplings acting like the crust.
The cool months hit and I long for those comforting foods that you come with this time of year. I love a good pot pie and a good stew, so I have combined the flavours and textures in this dish and made a vegetable stew, with hearty rich red lentil base and optional dumplings. While, I myself don’t love dumplings, the rest of my family loves this addition. And in fact when eating left overs, my son will request just the dumpling.
The keys to avoiding heavy, dense dumplings are working gently with the flour, making them no bigger than 2 tablespoon scoops, and not cooking them too long. Also adding them in to the dish at to late of time, risks burning the stew on the bottom of the pan (speaking from experience).
I have not yet tried making the dumplings with a gluten-free flour, but in my next iteration of this dish, I am going to flavour it with Indian spices and try making chickpea flour dumplings.
About Red Lentils
Red lentils are a very versatile protein source in a plantiful kitchen. They cook up quickly and break down into almost a pureed texture, acting as a great binder and thicker for soups and stews (and baking…will post my granola bar recipe soon).
Lentils are nutritional powerhouses:
- Good source of protein: 1/2 cup = 26 grams
- Excellent source of fibre: 1/2 cup=80% of your recommended daily amount
- Also great source of iron, manganese and folate.
For an added bit of protein, and provide a texture more like the filling of a traditional chicken pot pie, you could add in some baked tofu or chickpeas. But this hearty winter stew will be totally satisfying as is.
- 1tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2cup celerydiced
- 1cup oniondiced
- 1cup carrotdiced
- 1 cup potato (about 2 small)diced
- 4cloves garlic
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1cup red lentilsrinsed
- 4cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1cup frozen peasdefrosted gently in cool water, then drained
- 1cup frozen corndefrosted gently in cool water, then drained